There are a few simple things to do in the garden that will help get you through some of the summer issues you may be facing:
- Adding mulch to your landscape beds and even containers boxes helps to retain moisture and suppress weed growth.
- Spray with eco-friendly Liquid Fence to deter deer and rabbits from visiting your yard. Unlike other repellents that work by providing a bitter taste, Liquid Fence works by giving off a scent that the animals fear, so they won’t even attempt to nibble!
- Apply a second dose of Preen to prevent summer weeds from coming up in your garden. Preen doesn’t kill existing weeds, so be sure to pull anything coming up prior to applying. It works for up to 3 months, so you’ll be in great shape for the rest of the season!
- Apply Garden-Tone to long season vegetable crops such as tomatoes, corn and cucumbers. Since I always have it on hand, I sprinkle it in my window boxes, planters and summer perennials for an extra feeding and my flowers are very thankful for a summer feeding! Get in a second crop of lettuce and peas for the fall too!
- Move the blade on your mower to leave grass at 2 1/2 inches. Although you will need to mow more frequently, you will not scorch your lawn and strip it of its nutrients.
Finally, remember to sit back with a cold drink and enjoy all work you’ve done this season…you deserve it!